Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse 2023-24 School Year
Student Support Services/LPN
Gates Chili CSD
TOP WORK Place 2022
The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
Position: Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse for the 2023-24 School Year (Full-time and Part-time vacancies)
Purpose: The professional nursing positions will involve providing emergency first aid treatment, performing screening/testing procedures, maintaining medical records, dispensing medication to students, classroom instruction in topics related in the health field, and acting as a resource person in disseminating health-related information to students, parent(s)/guardian(s), administrators and the faculty. May assist in the oversight of Health Aides assigned to public and non-public schools within the district. The employee will work under the general supervision and will report directly to the District's Medical Director and Building Administrator(s). Does related work as required.
- Maintains and updates cumulative health records for all students in the building including immunization data
- Conducts scoliosis, health and vision screening and assists in physical examinations
- Participates in an intervention program for recurring illness and other attendance problems
- Evaluates school-related injuries and completes district forms
- Provides first aid and emergency treatment of injuries and illness of students and faculty
- Advises parent(s)/guardian(s) of the need for additional medical attention
- Dispenses medication as ordered by physician and requested by parent/guardian(s) in accordance with New York State Law
- Inventories and oversees the storage of first aid and related health supplies and equipment
- Acts as a liaison between physician, faculty, student, and parent(s)/guardian(s) when there is a health problem
- Delivers instruction to students on health-related topics
- Coordinates the work of the building health aides
- Assist in athletic physicals as needed
- May be a member of the Committee on Special Education or Building Resource Team
- Positively influence diversity, equity and inclusion practices in everyday responsibilities
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Building Administrator and other District office administrators.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of nursing theory, principles and procedures;
- Knowledge of the physical, mental, emotional and social health problems of elementary and secondary school students;
- Knowledge of counseling techniques;
- Knowledge of community health programs;
- Knowledge of records maintenance;
- Knowledge of health screening procedures;
- Ability to supervise health aides;
- Ability to provide first aid and emergency treatment;
- Ability to handle confidential records and information;
- Good judgment;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position
- Ability to engage with historically underrepresented and marginalized students/families
Certification/License: Licensed Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse; Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
Education: Bachelors or Master’s Degree in nursing
Experience: Experience working with a diverse population of students and families desired; successful prior school nursing experience a plus.
Demands, Hazards: Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Equipment: Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travel: Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
To apply please select the Apply Now Button