Health Clinic Nurse Practitioner
Health Clinic Nurse Practitioner
Required: Master's degree and License as a Certified Nurse Practitioner within the state with two
(2) years of experience directly related to the standard duties as outlined.
Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience as approved
by Human Resources Department.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Level: Thirteen (13)
Salary: $87,218.95 - $98,253.02 per year DOE
Southeast New Mexico College (formerly New Mexico State University Carlsbad) was formed by
House Bill 212 in April 2021. HB212 made Southeast New Mexico College an independent college
accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. SENMC is a diverse and community-centered
institution dedicated to excellence and student success through transformative discovery.
Under general supervision of the Vice President of Business and Finance, the Health Clinic Nurse
Practitioner directs and manages the operation, marketing, customer satisfaction and clinical
outcomes of the SENMC health clinic. The Health Clinic Nurse Practitioner is responsible for
facilitating the planning, organization, implementation and control of the resources needed for
optimal performance of the department in coordination with physicians, other clinicians and
support staff. The Health Clinic Nurse Practitioner is accountable for delivery of high quality care
and for the daily management of the SENMC health clinic.
Purpose and Scope:
The duties below are representative of the role and are intended to cover only some of the duties
performed within the scope of work.
• Monitor delivery of patient services to include: forecast and prepare for all changes
needed or impacted by patient load, billing/collecting procedures, and government
regulations and policies.
• Complete various special projects as assigned, which may require reviewing and analyzing
information, identifying problems, recommending solutions and writing reports.
• Assist in recruiting, supervising, and direction all non-faculty staff to ensure the clinic
operates in an efficient manner and that the patients receive high quality customer
• Review internal policies and procedures and update as needed.
• Function as the clinic liaison with patients, businesses, hospitals, academic administration,
• Maintains on-site Medical Records administration and ensuring that all state and federal
regulations governing the release of information is followed.
• Responsible for patient care on an inpatient and/or outpatient service. This includes, but
is not limited to direct patient care, outreach / preventive health efforts, and follow-up of
labs, radiological / other studies, and referrals.
• Where applicable, establishes priorities for nursing care through patient assessment and
develops nursing care plans. Prepares equipment and assists provider during examination,
testing, and treatment of patients as needed.
• Coordinates multidisciplinary health care services and arranges diagnostic tests. Performs
inpatient diagnostic testing, therapeutic, and interventional procedures in conjunction
with physician as needed.
• As needed, administers appropriate injections and medications as ordered by medical
providers in compliance with state law and clinic guidelines. Educates patients and staff on
pharmacological/drug effects and protocol requirements, if applicable.
• As needed, records medical information within the patients' electronic medical record as
instructed by the physician.
• May be required to reach out to referring physicians and promote new referrals.
• Ensures infection control compliance within the practice and quality assurance in all
aspects of patient care as mandated by institutional, local, state and federal regulatory
• As needed, maintains inventory of supplies, equipment and/or reagents. May order
supplies/equipment/reagents as authorized. Receives supply orders and confirms
accuracy of delivery. May assist with cost control.
• Attends workshops, seminars and/or conferences to keep abreast of standards and best
practices within the field. Disseminates information to colleagues and/or staff as
• If applicable, assesses patient eligibility and reviews patient medical history for inclusion in
• Manages the care of selected patients using protocols agreed upon by medical/nursing
personnel. Prescribes and adjusts medications. Makes judgments about the use of
pharmaceutical agents as standard treatments in diagnosed conditions.
• If applicable, reviews and completes protocol history sheets, flow sheets, study follow-up
reports and patient evaluation forms. Prepares and amends IRB protocols, consent forms
and research documents.
• Perform other duties as assigned that support the objective of the position to include
ensuring the clinic operates in an efficient manner.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledgeable in basic management principles and interpersonal communications.
• Knowledge of the professional nursing theory and practice to give and evaluate patient
• Knowledge of organizational policies and procedures to administer patient care.
• Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work
• Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional
nursing to provide on-going patient care.
• Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions.
• Skill in preparing and maintaining records and writing reports.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, hospital,
medical staff and the public.
• Ability to analyze situations and apply critical thinking.
• Ability to communicate clearly.
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
Affirmative Action Statement:
SENMC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to excellence through
diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
disability, marital status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any
other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Work Environment and Physical Demand:
• Reach and grasp objects
• Stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl
• Use of video display terminal
• Use of manual dexterity and fine motor skills
• Communicate information orally and in writing
• Receive and understand information through oral and written communication
• Proofread and check documents for accuracy
• Work a fluctuating work schedule
Performing the essential functions of this position requires the use of a computer throughout most
of the workday, the ability to navigate a typical office environment, significant amounts of
interpersonal interaction including oral and written communication, and the ability to keep track
of multiple tasks, projects, deadlines, information sources and business processes. This job
description is intended to be generic in nature and describe the essential functions of the job. It is
not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and
responsibilities, and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the