Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
Join a team with a national reputation for excellence! Our mission is to serve Minnesota Veterans and their families. We do this by delivering quality health care, helping to secure benefits, and providing programs and services in higher education, claims, burials, outreach and Veterans’ preference. At the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA), we not only consider it our duty to provide the highest level of care to those who answered our nation's call, we believe it is an honor.
MDVA recognizes that a culturally competent workforce is critical to meet the needs of all Minnesotans. MDVA is committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility at our workplace to support employees as they grow in their careers with the State of Minnesota.
Working Title: Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
Job Class: Human Services Technician (HST)
Agency: Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 05/2/2023
Closing Date: 06/30/2023
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: MN Veterans Affairs Department / Veterans Home - Mpls - AFSCME
Division/Unit: Minnesota Veterans Home - Minneapolis
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift: 6:30 am - 3:00 pm / Evening Shift: 2:30 pm - 11:00 pm / Overnight: 10:30 pm - 7:00 am
Days of Work: Varies
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $16.02 - $25.41/hourly; $33,450 - $53,056/annually
Job Class Option: Certified Nursing Assistant
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 204 - Health Care Non Professional/AFSCME
Work Area: MDVA - Minneapolis Veterans Home Nursing Department
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Telework Eligible: No
Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
It pays to consider a rewarding career with the Minnesota Veterans Home in Minneapolis! You may be eligible for a new hire bonus of $2,500!
Earn a competitive wage, have affordable and comprehensive insurance benefits (if eligible), a retirement plan, paid time off, free parking and more!
This announcement will be used to fill current and future full-time Human Services Technician (HST) vacancies within the Minnesota Veterans Home - Minneapolis. Shifts to choose from include Day (6:30 am - 3:00 pm), Evening (2:30 pm - 11:00 pm), or Overnight (10:30 pm - 7:00 am).
Provide compassionate, person-centered care for residents in a long-term nursing facility. Assist with activities of daily living, ensure safety and quality of care is provided, and help residents to attain their highest functional capabilities in an environment that promotes caring, respect, and values the individual. Other duties as assigned.
Please indicate all employment conditions and shifts for which you are available to work. Qualified applicants will be considered for all vacancies they indicate they are available to work.
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume/application clearly describes your experience in the areas listed below and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held. Only applicants whose resumes clearly demonstrate fulfillment of each of these minimum qualifications will be considered for this position.
- Current registration as a Nursing Assistant with the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) Nursing Assistant Registry; OR
- At the time of hire, enrolled in an approved Nursing Assistant training course, complete the course and competency test and become registered within four (4) months of hire; OR
- At the time of hire, completion of a Nursing Assistant training program approved by Minnesota but is not yet on the Registry. (Must provide fax back score report with indicates the individual passed both the skills and written portions of the test.) Become registered within four (4) months of hire.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Ability to communicate effectively, follow instructions, and take clear notes.
- Experience providing activities of daily living (ADLs).
- Experience working in a long-term care environment.
This position also requires successful completion of the following:
- Employment reference checks will be conducted on finalists. This may include a review of documentation related to job performance and contact with the applicant's former employer(s).
- A Tuberculosis (Mantoux) screening (or chest x-ray) is required prior to employment.
- A Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) background check will be conducted on finalists for this position. Finalists must pass the DHS background check.
- The individual(s) selected for this position are required to attest to and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination by their first day of employment, per federal requirements. The individual(s) selected for the position may request an accommodation if they are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccination due to: (a) a recognized medical condition for which a COVID-19 vaccine is contraindicated; or (b) an objection based upon a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. For additional information about this COVID-19 vaccination requirement, contact Gwen Kendall at MDVA Human Resources at email@example.com . Please do not email or provide any proof of vaccination with your application/resume. This information will be collected from you if you are hired for this position
Why Work for Us
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency’s mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
Public pension plan
Training and professional development
Paid vacation and sick leave
12 paid holidays each year
Paid parental leave
Low-cost medical and dental coverage
Prescription drug coverage
Wellness programs and resources
Employer paid life insurance
Short-term and long-term disability
Health care spending and savings accounts
Dependent care spending account
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.